Aside from making people feel recognized, validated and creating a sense of comradery and contribution, working on a team makes people feel like they are part of something bigger. It provides purpose… but it’s not always easy to create a great salon team.
Collaborating and sharing ideas, whether in the salon, backstage or at a photo shoot, takes a fine balance of knowing when to not sweat the small stuff and when to let those creative juices flow.
Teresa Romero, Sam Villa Ambassador @_teresa_romero, works as a salon artistic/education director, backstage, with celebrities, does editorial work and is a two time NAHA 2021 Finalist for Team of the Year with Jose Luis Salon (Downtown and Domain Northside Teams). So, she knows a thing or two about the value of working on a team and how to do it gracefully.
“Collaborating as a team isn’t always easy and can seem daunting to some, but it’s a beautiful thing to see a group of individuals come together on a creative journey and discover the team experience. Producing hair artistry together will bond a group of people like nothing else can,” explains Romero who offers these tips for success.
1. Team Leader: There has to be a leader with a distinct concept that can clearly communicate with each member and keep things on track. It takes patience and motivation skills to navigate through artistic ideas and make each member feel vested, while keeping the concept in focus.
2. Collaboration: Team members should feel like they can contribute ideas – some might make the concept stronger, and some might be off the mark, it’s up to the leader to listen and then make the final call. Sometimes the most unexpected ideas are the best.
3. Define Roles: Each member needs to know what they are responsible for, play to their strengths when assigning roles. Invite newer members to assist more experienced members to give them an opportunity to evolve and be part of the team.
4. Don’t Get Lost in the Hair: The magic happens when, hair, makeup, wardrobe and photography are in harmony, so include all talent in the planning process and do a test shoot, if possible. Choose a photographer that understands the nuances of shooting hair. Hire models with confidence that can make the hair shine. Makeup artists and wardrobe stylist/designers play a major role in the overall aesthetic, so choose them wisely too. When all parties are involved in the planning process it creates a more positive team experience on shoot day and reduces post-editing time.
5. Plan Yet Remain Flexible: Plan meticulously with a well-stocked session kit but know that there will always be unexpected things that occur on set, so don’t stress, stay positive and flexible. Keep the shooting atmosphere drama free, and have additional hair pieces and tons of irons at the ready – a winning combination for saving a shot!
“Working on a team is full of discovery, collaboration, practice, planning and editing. It’s so rewarding, and when those hidden unexpected gems are created on set… well, that’s when everyone feels the magic and it’s a beautiful thing be a part of,” adds Romero.
The post 5 Tips to Create a Fantastic Salon Team appeared first on EsteticaMagazine.com.