Carolyn Sweeney is a renowned trainer and coach from Kin Connect, helping salon owners achieve business growth by developing their team, marketing and financial understanding. In this exclusive interviews she shares her expertise.
How do you motivate your team?
Motivating your team at work can be challenging, but it is crucial to keep your staff inspired and engaged to achieve your shared goals.
- Set clear and achievable goals that align with your team’s vision and objectives and then communicate them honestly and effectively.
- Celebrate each small or big success to keep the team energised and excited about their work.
- Provide your team with a clear sense of purpose and acknowledge how their work contributes to the overall success of the salon and the customers.
- Reward and recognise excellent performance, which can be monetary or non-monetary, public acknowledgments, incentives, and bonuses.
- Encourage team-building activities to create stronger working relationships and a positive team dynamic.
Remember that motivation is not something you do once and forget about. It’s an ongoing process that requires your constant attention and effort to keep your team inspired and happy.
Where do you find apprentices, stylists and front of house staff?
Know exactly what you’re looking for, write interesting and exciting job adverts that are outside of the norm and think about what they are looking for not just what you want.
- For apprentices, I recommend you start looking at 14–16-year-olds and after running a training programme once a week after school, offering them an introduction into the industry and weekend work, so they get involved in your culture before their apprenticeship.
- For stylists you need to invest in growing your own either through a apprenticeship or a follow up from a college programme where they may have good basic skills. This can be a quicker route than apprenticeships if you need stylists immediately.
- A good front of house team can be the driving force of the business. Start by deciding what you’re looking for and what the role will include, be open-minded about who you may take on and change the title’s wording and feel for the advert each week to attract different types of people, then see who fits the job description.
How do you keep up with increasing outlays with the cost-of-living crisis?
The obvious tactics are of course decreasing outgoings and increasing revenue, so treatment prices need to go up in our industry, but so does the customer experience. Gone are the days when a consultation is “what are we doing today” with the reply “just a trim”. With more complex bookings and each colour service being unique for every customer you must up your game. To increase prices and client numbers invest in educating your teams on outstanding service and better communication.
If you would like to know how Kin Connect can help you grow your business, book a discovery head to our website kinconnect.co.uk or call on 07711 567003
nconnect.co.uk or call on 07711 567003
The post The key to success appeared first on The Salon Magazine.